[sword-devel] PEG parser for USFM

Peter Von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Jan 20 05:00:52 MST 2016

> Von: "Baiju M" <baiju.m.mail at gmail.com>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Peter Von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> > The problems are inherent in USFM - the lack of end marker, the lack of semantics.
> > So you get all kinds of problems at chapter/chapter, verse/verse and verse/chapter transitions.
> > And in poetry etc.
>
> Are you suggesting that the *USFM standard* need improvement? Or this
> is a problem with the USFM files created by users?

The USFM standard does what it says on the tin. I doubt that you can move the makers to amendments which have no beneficial impact on their work.

The standard hovers along the faultline of semantic and presentational markup and does it well insofar as users who have no clue of semantics use it well enough. Users can produce problematic USFM and USFM editing programmes have some difficulty weeding this out. But by and large the paths of working with translations - from translating team to publisher - are well worn and well used, so to disrupt this you would need to offer something exceptionally better and easier to use.

Peter