[sword-devel] Contributing to sword-tools repo?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Thu Jan 14 07:39:16 MST 2016

On 2016-01-14, 12:50 GMT, Baiju M wrote:
> I know that this project is encouraging new contributors. I can read
> like this here: http://crosswire.org/volunteers/
> "Currently, the CrossWire Bible Society has a number of projects in
> progress, all open to new volunteers"
> I think moving to Git would be a good choice.

I think you misunderstood the situation. There were numerous
flamewars on the topic of svn/git migration (browse through
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.literature.sword.devel to see
for yourself), and I think the sitaution is a bit more
complicated than what this page suggests. The powers to be IMHO
actually really do not want new contributors to sword, because
they would have to loose some control over the project. You may
be allowed to contribute a simple bug fix, but the current state
of the sword codebase is good enough for them and there is
really little if any will to change status quo. And SVN serves
as a pretty good barrier for entry of new contributors, so it
will stay here for a long long time.

> I started collecting few notes here, when we are going for migration,
> this will be helpful.
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Git_Migration

See
https://gitlab.com/mcepl/git-svn-tools/blob/master/git-svn-fix-authors
and git-svn-fix-tags in the same repo. The result is
https://gitlab.com/mcepl/sword-tools

HOwever, as I said, the block for the transition is in people
not in tools.

Blessings,

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

[...] sleep is no substitute for caffeine.
      -- Robert Storey in review of Debian
         (when describing re-compilation of kernel :-)