[sword-devel] NASB status

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:34:53 MST 2016

On Jan 6, 2016 12:53 PM, "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:

> I don't want to fight about this yet again.
>
> This is a commercial module to be sold by Lockman.  That is a different
> scenario from other modules.  For this module, I have reasonably asked:
>
> 1) That we have a scripted, reproducible way to transform their data
> from their pristine source to a module.

Complete as I know it at this time. I left the lexica alone for the time
being because no one has ever presented me with concrete problems the
module has. I've only ever heard a vague "it has issues". I'll take another
look soon to see what those problems might be and see if I need to make
changes. The conversion for the Bible + notes has been completely rewritten
into Python with a load of unit tests - every time someone has pointed out
a bug in it to me, I add a unittest that is the actual text from the module
that causes the bug and then I fix the unittests. This has made my
iterations much more stable with regards to regressions.

> 2) That we support their entire dataset which they have given us for
> this module (base text + footnotes / crossrefs + lexica)

I'm unaware of deficiencies here at present. I'd be happy to verify that
and the onus then falls to me at this time if we aren't supporting some
portion of it.

> 3) That the result works generally in all major SWORD/JSword frontends.

Last I heard from DM, there was a fix in the development versions of
JSword/BD for whatever outstanding features it was missing. And he had
promised to make a release "this weekend" in the Spring of last year. I
don't believe that release was ever cut.

--Greg