[sword-devel] Question about module la_en

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jan 4 14:49:07 MST 2016

I’ve bugs in JSword that I’ve been trying to fix. The problems occur when working with the Glossary module la_en, "Latin to English Glossary”.

First, JSword expects that a key is present in the module at most once. And if CaseInsensitiveKeys is not set on the module that the keys are ordered by uppercase. Practically, it does a binary search and for a given entry will always return the same value.

Second, JSword doesn’t expect empty entries other than at the beginning of a module (where an empty entry is an index with a size of 0). This is common at the beginning of modules.

Below are the first few entries of the la_en module. The columns are separated by tabs, though your email may show them as spaces. I’ve truncated long values as indicated with ….
From this we see that index 5 is empty. “A AB ABS” is present 6 times.

Should a dictionary module have duplicate keys?
Should there be empty index entries?
In other words, is this module in error?

From a JSword perspective, it should be graceful (right now it isn’t) in the face of these. I’m working on that. Any thoughts on the matter of how it should be graceful?

index	offset	size	key	value
0	49	61	A AB ABS	(prep + abl) separation - out of (one ou...
1	163	58	A AB ABS	(prep + abl) in connection with, with re...
2	281	46	A AB ABS	(prep + abl) space- from, away from
3	223	56	A AB ABS	(prep + abl) with passive verbs - by, be...
4	112	49	A AB ABS	(prep + abl) time - from, since, after
5	0	0
6	0	47	A AB ABS	(prep + abl) numbers - counting from
7	329	45	ABALIENATO	transfer of property, alienation
8	376	32	ABAVUS	great-great-grandfather
9	410	29	ABBAS ABBATIS	father /abbot
10	441	26	ABBATIA	abbey, monastery
11	469	55	ABDICO	to renounce, reject / abdicate / disappr...
12	526	39	ABDO	put away, remove / hide, conceal
13	567	26	ABDOMEN	belly / gluttony
14	595	48	ABDUCO	to lead, or take away/ detach, withdraw
15	743	28	ABEO	to pass, to have been
16	695	46	ABEO	to digress / change / vanish, disappear
17	645	48	ABEO	to go away, retire /depart from life, die
18	773	35	ABERRO	to wander, deviate, escape
19	810	27	ABHINC	ago, back from now