[sword-devel] 1.7.2 release

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Jan 15 01:31:11 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 19:07 -0800, Chris Little wrote:
> I haven't looked at the code, but the idea of mapping between
> versification systems (not versifications of particular translations but
> versification systems, as we define them) is completely ridiculous.

Teus has already given a use case. The fact that most of our frontends
have parallel displays which do not work well with av11n is the other
compelling one.

The need for mapping has been discussed for many years on this mailing
list and has also been agreed. To call it 'completely ridiculous' is
neither reflecting what has been agreed upon nor the actual facts -
approximate mapping via an intermediate super-v11n system in a way as
Teus describes is a lot better than no mapping.

Kostya's patch for v11n mapping is well known on this list, it has been
tentatively discussed several times, Troy has acknowledged its presence
on his list of things to look through - though that is a long time ago.
Troy also has highlighted various border cases which need a solution or
suggestions for solutions. Problems with module variability has been
acknowledged as a problem, but also by all who asked for mapping
described as an acceptable error - i.e. better than no mapping.

JSWORD has now initial working code.

Further, quite unlike v11n systems there is probably no need to get it
right first time but improvements could happen in an iterative way. In
fact, i see no reason not to allow per-module user modification of
mapping in frontends, which would lay to rest all of your reservations
of mapping via v11n systems.

Bible1 (v11n-1) -> v11n-1 generic mapping +/- bible-1 user-modifications
-> super v11n -> v11n-2 generic mapping +/- bible-2 user-modifications
-> Bible 2 (v11n-2)

Peter