[sword-devel] CzeBKR & CzeCSP

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Feb 27 05:17:24 MST 2014

On 2/25/2014 2:15 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 08:15:03AM +0100, Peter Von Kaehne wrote:
>> In essence, if the module is of the kind as this one - ancient and
>> clearly with problems, chances are that the module needs to be
>> recreated from scratch anyway. Find a decent source and produce a
>> replacement. This time with the all necessary info etc.
>
> Yes, I am working on it (http://luther.ceplovi.cz/git/czebkr.git/ based
> on http://cs.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_kralick%C3%A1 which seems to have
> much better text than what we have anyway; among other things, it
> doesn’t mix together two different editions of the Bible).

It's unclear whether you are working entirely from an ODT exported from
Wikisource articles or are also using the CzeBKR module exported via
osis2mod, but there's no way we would distribute content produced via
either of these methods.

Wikisource can be a good source for Bibles, but there are a couple of
very significant problems with how you are using Wikisource. The first
problem is that you aren't using the Wikisource source text, you're
using something that has already been transformed into ODT. That
unnecessarily introduces the potential for errors. It's also much, much
easier to transform Wiki markup to OSIS than it is to transform ODT to OSIS.

The other big problem is that you're hosting these derivative ODTs in a
git repository. Wikisource is already a document archive, and it has the
added benefit of allowing others to correct the documents.

If you intend to use Wikisource as a source text, use the underlying
Wiki document and write a script to pull a fresh copy from Wikisource so
that changes to the Wikisource copy can be easily integrated into
updates. If you'd like an example Python script that downloads documents
from Wikisource and generates an OSIS document, I can send you one.

> Also, based on this discussion I have added some maintainer-related
> headers to my CzeCSP module
> http://luther.ceplovi.cz/git/czekms-csp_bible.git/commit/?id=46e39155e0
> because I haven’t anything standard on
> http://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files Or did I miss something?

We won't be adopting these.

"Maintainer" contact info is not useful or necessary because
"maintainers" usually maintain their submissions very little if at all.
Module bugs go into the bug tracker. From there, we assign the bugs to
the appropriate maintainer. If you feel the need to sign your module,
you can add a note at the end of the About section.

> Could somebody upload to our repository
> http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/CzeCSP.zip with the new version, please?

We do not accept submissions of compiled modules. Submissions are still
done the same way as they were two years ago: send the OSIS file or a
link to it to modules at crosswire.org.

--Chris