[sword-devel] Best Windows compiler to use to make Python bindings to Sword?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 21:00:43 MST 2014

While it is possible to mix-and-match DLLs from Visual Studio with those
from MinGW or those from other compilers, it is not recommended as it
requires special work during the compiling and linking phase. It's rather
difficult. Thus, it would be easiest on you to build the bindings with the
same compiler and linker that Python is built with (and Python does not, as
yet, support building with MinGW although they are working towards that).

That said, I have no idea if Swig is compatible with Visual Studio, nor if
there is a version available for running on Windows, nor if it would
produce a DLL that would link happily on Windows against Python, nor how to
install a Python module on Windows, nor anything else related to the
building of the bindings on Windows. I am the "pumpkin holder" for the Swig
bindings, though, so if you come across any enhancement that need to be
made to the building of the Sword bindings on Windows, I'd be happy to work
with you to get it incorporated into the trunk. One thing to note - there
are currently only two ways to build the Swig bindings - through autotools
and through CMake. I have tried to build the CMake scripts such that they
will build the engine on Windows, but I don't believe I completely
succeeded from the sounds of it - the last report I heard was that it
didn't quite work. You could either tap into the existing vc++ project file
or work to update and edit the existing CMake scripts which already have
support for the Swig bindings as built-in as they can be.

Other than that, the best I can do is wish you Good Luck!

--Greg