[sword-devel] Best Windows compiler to use to make Python bindings to Sword?

rj_qgsous_sword rj_qgsous_sword at objectmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:33:36 MST 2014

I would like to make Python bindings to Sword. From reading the
    documentation that comes with Sword, I see that I need to build the
    entire Sword library in order to do this. What would be the
    recommended compiler to use?

    I am running Windows 8.1. I don't have any experience with making
    SWIG bindings, so I'm not sure whether or not I would need to use
    the same version of Visual Studio that Python is compiled with
    (which, for Python 2, is VC2008). If not, my guess would be that I
    should use a newer version of Visual Studio, but I could also use
    MinGW or anything else that works. Also, if I should use Visual Studio, would the Express edition work?

    Thank you.

    -- Timothy