[sword-devel] Project “Free Scriptures” started

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Mon Feb 24 02:35:14 MST 2014

Hi!

I must say that although I do not agree with all the criticism of the
Sword project I do agree with some of it, and I actually hope that a
bit of healthy competition would help both parties.

IMHO this again highlights some of the problems of the Sword project
which have also been discussed previously: e.g. Sword module formats
are not well documented and formalized (making them "unreadable"). In
addition, although Sword is GPL, there are many obstacles for
outsiders to actually start contributing to the project, hence I
somewhat understand why Sword might be perceived as not Free software.
The same goes for the distribution (and modification) of modules.

It seems to me that the "Free Scriptures" project is an effort to
develop a more open project with more freely distributable and
modifiable modules. Seems like a good idea to me.

Blessings,
Jaak

PS: Personally I'd consider a BSD/MIT license for the software.