[sword-devel] Project “Free Scriptures” started

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Feb 23 21:41:37 MST 2014

Stephan,

We've had too many spammers signing up for the forums. About 400 a day, IIRC. So we shut down registrations as we look for a better option.

So here is a great place for such conversation.

It seems your email is combative. I hope it is just a language difference.

Regarding the SWORD project, we are very interested in digital freedom. You can clearly see that in our software license. It is GPL, so free and Free. I don't understand your quibble.

Regarding to texts, we convert texts from primary sources into SWORD modules. We do not modify primary sources. If we have issues, we report them back to the primary sources and let them modify their content. That allows everyone to benefit from the changes. We also don't publish texts from secondary sources. The SWORD module is an undocumented representation (other than in code) of those primary sources. We strongly discourage people from taking our transformations and re-publishing them. Instead we strongly encourage people to go to the same primary source, which is documented in every module's conf. For that reason (that primary owners keep their source), we don't keep a repository of sources from which we create modules. Seems to me that is a very strong support of digital freedom. We want everyone to have the same freedom we have without propagating any mistakes we may have made in creating a SWORD module.

The only module that we retain the text for is the KJV. I am the maintainer for that source, and if you'd like it, just ask. It is freely available, but I've not been very good on making it clear what is the most recent version. So ask and it is yours. But please, don't republish the source, instead point them to me so they can get the benefits of the fixes I make to the source. (That said, you don't have to do that. You can post a copy and face the problems of fixing it.) If others report problems to you, please pass them to me, so I can make corrections for everyones benefit.

Many of our SWORD modules are under current copyright and we have obtained legal permission to distribute the texts. We protect those rights.

Our goal is service to the Lord as we make His Word widely available to the whole world.

We welcome collaboration, but I'm entirely unclear whether or how you wish to collaborate on the SWORD Project. At face value, it seems you are dismissing any collaboration with us on our effort.

Hope this makes sense to you and that you understand.

In His Service,
	DM Smith