[sword-devel] Av11n modules - was Deuterocanonical books / Apocrypha

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 3 15:19:41 MST 2014

Maybe I misunderstood what Chris said/meant (reading his post now, apparently I did). The osisID book names can be found here: http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Book_Abbreviations

As to numbering, I just know how the v11n work in SWORD and JSword. They assume that chapters start at 1 and verses start at one.

I suppose that it is possible to give 0 as the number of verses in a chapter in the verse per chapter array.

Regarding mid-verse titles, I'm not sure if SWORD handle it or not. That's a different issue from v11ns.

Regarding the plethora of v11ns that translators use, that is a hard one to solve well. Do note, that all the text in an input to osis2mod should appear in the module. Nothing should be thrown away. Hopefully it will be appended to the end of a verse that precedes it.

Verse ranges should be handled properly. This has been part of osis2mod for a very long time. As a comment, OSIS does not allow the - in an osisID but does in an osisRef. So Genesis 1:1-3 should be written osisID="Gen.1.1 Gen.1.2 Gen.1.3". That said, I think osis2mod is lenient allowing an osisRef where an osisID is expected.

The handling of a missing verse in the WEB as verse containing only a footnote is good. Other works do the same. So is dropping the verse altogether from the numbering. Shorter chapters pose no problem for a v11n that allows for more verses.

Longer chapters cause verses to be appended to the right location.

There's a lot more to be done to solve *all* the problems.

In His Service,
	DM Smith