[sword-devel] HTML5 File API and SWORD modules

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue May 7 16:46:40 MST 2013

On 07/05/13 16:58, Stephan wrote:
> Another problem is (like mentioned before) how to store the module files
> in a browser. There is the FileSystem API, but it is Chrome-only.
> IndexedDB is implemented in Firefox, Chrome and IE10, but you can store
> file blobs only in Firefox and not in the other browsers. There is a
> FileSystem API wrapper for Firefox
> (https://github.com/ebidel/idb.filesystem.js) but with some limitations.
>
> What do you think about a HTML5/JS implemantion in general? How can we
> use as much as possible code of the current library so that we don't
> have to rewrite everything from scratch?

I have no opinions on Emscripten v. rewrite as my C++ knowledge is
fairly limited (to say it mildly), but I am in the process of switching
to Geeksphone Peak (Firefox OS phone) and so I am terribly interested in
a possibility of having replacement for AndBible for it.

I can see that work on Chromium is still ongoing
(https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=108012), but I
believe that at least for us friends of Firefox (and apparently
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh779017%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
IE10, which I am not) I would keep hope that this will get completely
implemented. After all, one should write against standards
(http://www.w3.org/TR/IndexedDB/#key-path-construct seems to indicate
support for File should be standard) not against implementations, right?

Blessings,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

In political activity men sail a boundless and bottomless sea;
there is neither harbor for shelter nor floor for anchorage,
neither starting point nor appointed destination.
    -- Michael Oakeshott: Rationalism in Politics