[sword-devel] SWORD 1.7.0 final stretch

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Jun 19 04:49:35 MST 2013

As long as we follow the advice to have subsequent releases that fix bugs and minor details, I don't see any reason to wait. But I haven't had time to test the new KJV and ESV with it.

I'll add my voice to a long list requesting branching for the release. Greg has volunteered to manage such. I suggest we take him up on that. Two parts to this: Tagging the release as we always have done and creating a branch before making changes that shouldn't be part of 1.7.x.

In the next month or so, I'll be moving the JSword git repository to the CrossWire server as the master copy. We'll still use github until we figure out collaboration on the CrossWire server.

I suggest seriously considering using git for SWORD. I was leery at first that it was YASCC (Yet another source code control) offering no real advantage over SVN. At this time, I won't go into why I'm sold on it. It really isn't part of this discussion. But suffice it to say: it makes branching and using branches easy.

The only thing that I've noted in the last month is the notion that the module version number is a 3 part number where the third part is updated for conf changes and as such does not require the module to be downloaded again. Does the engine offer support for knowing this or is this a front-end responsibility?

In Him,
	DM