[sword-devel] mobile development update and invitation to participate

Brian Schroeder bschroeder at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 11 22:14:39 MST 2013

Great - I can see more improvements.

I have had a brief play with this and noted the following:

1) Full index of the KJV in 8 minutes (Belle FP1 on Nokia 701 - supposed 
to be 1.3GHz now)
2) In the found box of the search screen pressed and held for a couple 
of seconds (2 vibrations) and released.  The circle of dots froze.  
After about 5 more minutes of ignoring it I looked again and it was 
unfrozen, but in the "Settings" screen. Repeated this and the same thing 
happened again.
3) Tried again using ESV - indexed in 5 minutes.  (Yes, it lost the 
previous index again!)  Pressing while circle of dots appears and then 
releasing again freezes.  Watched, and after about a minute the search 
screen vanished and one of the other existing screens appeared.
4) The S60 UI gives me white text on a light green background - 
virtually unreadable.  The new "mini" style is definitely an improvement 
on what was there before.
5) Vibrate DOES work, but it is very brief and could possibly be 
non-noticed.  Suggestion:  make it longer, and make it an option in the 
settings (though I can see why having it enabled is good).
6) Cross references from the ESV opened up in the KJV.
7) Extra help text is great.
8) Pressing on references in the "Find" screen sometimes pops up an 
empty box, and sometimes a verse or part thereof (in KJV).
9) I CAN now open a new module in a "left" or "right" screen. That bit 
is fixed.

What is the difference between the "S60" and the "3" versions of BTM 
(aside from the fact the latest update is only S60)?

My computer is running Linux at the moment, and when I attach my phone I 
can see the E: and F: drives, but not the C: drive - though I can see 
the C: drive directly on the phone.  On E: drive (the internal 8G of 
memory is divided into C: and E: with most in E:) where I told it to 
install BTM, I can see the indices and cache etc. under 
E:\data\Bibletime.  I can also see E:\data\Sword\mods.d - but that is an 
empty folder.  I could not find the installed modules on any of the 3 
drives, and I could not find C:\btlog.txt.


Konstantin Maslyuk wrote:
> Hi, i have just uploaded new version. With some fixes to search, there 
> really was crash when trying to search. And regarding to application 
> becomes unresponsive when switching current module, it seem to be 
> fixed too (i found that some modules in Crosswire repository still 
> have such behavior in desktop BibleTime, at least for some glossaries).
> On matter of long indexig time, could you say how it is long exactly? 
> I have tested nokia 700 in Remote Device Access and it took 10 minutes 
> to index KJV (do have you Belle Future Pack?, there is cpu speed up 
> for your model afaik)
> Regarding 2. i can not restart device in RDA, can you provide some 
> information. From 0.9.3 indexes as well as modules will be stored in 
> <installation drive>:\data\  in Bibletime\indecies and Sword folders 
> respectively, log is always at c:\btlog.txt . So you may open it and 
> look, and maybe indexes for ESV was removed as orphaned?
> 3. not sure, but ESV cross-references seems to not work properly. If 
> link is marked properly and you have at least one Bible it should open 
> following passage (you need default Bible configured, but it is 
> configured automatically on first Bible installation, if not - bug).
> Another features in this version are: vibration on Symbian devices (i 
> have no way to test it, so i hope on your help), it vibrates twice: 
> after second while you pressing the screen and after two seconds, this 
> indicates different actions (context or service). General Book support 
> (all module types are supported now), search in non-Bible modules.
> 5. added tips, hope that they are clear enough
> 6. made text box more obvious
> 8. this probably fixed stuff, report please if it persist anyway
> Blessings, and many thanks for your report!
> Brian Schroeder <bschroeder at internode.on.net> писал(а) в своём письме 
> Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:22:03 +0400:
>> Hi Костя,
>> I have spent a bit more time playing with BTM on my Nokia 701. On top 
>> of the
>> things that have already been discussed:
>> 1. It took a VERY long time to index the English KJV Bible - and then 
>> at 99% it
>> seemed to crash.
>> 2. It did manage to index the ESV, and I could use it. But after the 
>> phone was
>> restarted (for unrelated reasons), the next time I wanted to "find" 
>> something it
>> needed to re-index.
>> 3. The failure of links to actually do anything is disappointing.
>> 4. (Not directly related to this application) Is there a version of 
>> the ESV that
>> does not include all the extra cross-references? They make it a 
>> little clumsy on
>> this form-factor.
>> 5. In most screens, if I swipe sideways all the text moves as if the 
>> swipe was
>> meaningful, but then it just bounces back again. Is there supposed to 
>> be some
>> functionality there?
>> 6. I discovered the "Windows" UI Style. It may be the best one to 
>> have as
>> default. It certainly makes things like the "Find" screen a little 
>> more obvious.
>> 7. On the top of the screen we have |<-- | version | book:chp:vs | 
>> -->| But the
>> arrows don't seem to do anything.
>> 8. If I press and hold for a while, a circle of rotating dots 
>> appears. When I
>> let go I get a menu "Add Left" and "Add Right". I tried "Add Right" 
>> and it
>> appears to give me a 2nd screen in which to add another module. 
>> However when I
>> try to do anything BTM freezes and has to be killed.
>> All up, though, I am quite excited by this. At last there is a good 
>> Bible
>> application for Symbian.
>> Brian 

More information about the sword-devel mailing list