[sword-devel] Windows Utilities

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Jul 23 05:20:30 MST 2013

> Von: "David Haslam" <dfhmch at googlemail.com>

> These utilities should give the required output when single verses are
> requested, but should be "intelligent" enough to avoid duplications when a
> passage is to be processed that includes the verse range (or part of one).

Chris has answered already largely. Wrt to mod2imp - this is a utility for checking module content. The duplication tells you this is a linked verse. What else do you want from it? It coudl alternatively put that info into the imp node header, but I am not entirely sure why this would be better for the purpose it was designed for.

It is not a round robin utility and certainly not a commandline frontend.

In short - if you want to call it a bug - taking into account the scope and purpose of the utility you will need to explain why

is better for your purposes than

Latter is longer, for sure, but the implied information is the same. It certainly has served its purposes as far as i am concerned well enough.

Diatheke comes closer to being a front end - and here your described behaviour could indeed be called a bug. But FWIW, diatheke is obsolete for all purposes other than quick look ups and it is solely maintained because it is easily maintained. And it is a nice enough short checking tool. I would think that those who maintain it use it as a tool to get to grips with the API. Users are here truly secondary. Module makers should not use it to produce modules, but solely for checking purposes

There are a small number of projects (mostly church projection software) who use diatheke output and then post process it but I think this is simply a sign of lack of willingness to get to grips with the API. I have been in contact with one such project and pointed out the python bindings - my understanding is they will look at that closer and change their code as the options of the API are a manifold better than cut up diatheke output.