[sword-devel] Location of prebuilt lucene indexes.

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Jan 23 09:14:27 MST 2013

On Jan 23, 2013, at 11:02 AM, "Peter von Kaehne" <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

>> Von: Andrew Thule <thulester at gmail.com>
>
>> The nice thing about when
>> repo administrators do this, is when you get a module from that repo, you
>> also automatically get the lucene index.
>
> The reason that this is not done are manifold - including that sword and jsword indices are different, that not all platforms have the same lucene/clucene incarnation etc.
>
> Most users are better off not to use downloaded indices, but to create indices suitable for their specific frontend.

To add to what Peter said, this mailing list's archives have extensive discussion on why we don't do this and why we have done it for mobile devices (only PocketSword and AndBible, and specific to them only).

Also, the transfer time for a lucene index exceeds the time of a recent computer to build them, e.g. my laptop. As a Bible Desktop user, I'd really rather not transfer an index that is unusable by Bible Desktop.

In Him,
	DM