[sword-devel] CrossWire mirroring

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Jan 11 18:25:08 MST 2013

On 1/11/2013 4:08 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Nic, no I didn't miss the point.
>
> You are claiming this privelge is exclusive.  If so, the terms of this
> agreement must be both registered and public.  Anyone can claim anything
> they want about what they are able to do, and what others are not able
> to do, but these claims are only true if the terms of the law is met.

We aren't claiming any exclusive privilege to distribution (except for
modules based on materials we create, which are rare). We're stating
that we (CrossWire) have permission to distribute certain texts, that
permission being granted by their copyright holders.

We're pointing out to you that you do not have permission from those
copyright holders and are thus in violation of the law and of their
copyrights when you redistribute such texts without license.

> As long as Crosswire is engaged in the public non-commercial
> distribution of modules, and refused to prove its right to do this is
> exclusive, it should accept is has no ability to control them
> once they've left Crosswire.

The idea that we need to prove to you that we have a right to distribute
texts is a notion you have invented. It exists only in your own mind.
The rest of the world knows no such notion.

Similarly, Zondervan does not need to prove to you that they have a
right, granted them by Biblica, to print the NIV. That's Zondervan's and
Biblica's business and not yours. Their failure to make their agreement
public does not grant you automatic right to print NIVs. Please be my
guest and demand that Zondervan make its contract with Biblica public.
When you get a 'go pound sand' reply, feel free to share it with us. I'm
confident we'll all have a good laugh.

--Chris