[sword-devel] CrossWire mirroring

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Jan 4 17:23:16 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 16:49 -0500, Andrew Thule wrote:

> That said, whatever you decided to do with respect to (re)distribution
> rights will be honoured, but it needs to be clearly communicated.  If
> modules are not to be redistributed, impose that constraint and be
> transparent about it.

It is clear. Your lack of respect for what is expressed in the conf file
re Distribution license is your problem and not a problem of lack of
clarity on our side. It is up to you to read and act upon (or rather
refrain from acting) instead of us spoon feeding you (or you to demand
such spoon feeding.

I do strongly suggest that we will _not_ expand the Wiki. The licenses
in the conf file are legal language, often written by the publisher's
lawyers and can only be ignored wilfully and maliciously or by way of
progressed and blind idiocy.

Trying to second guess this legal language by creating a wiki page
restating in our own words the content of licensing pages, explaining
the often huge variability etc is liable to create confusion, confusion
which then would be our responsibility.

The licenses we have vary wildly. While we have endeavoured to put
standard descriptive sentences on modules, this has not happened
universally and many modules have individually written copyright
statements. FWIW, this will also make script driven partial mirroring
impossible or at least rather difficult.

Peter