[sword-devel] FirefoxOS bible app

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 05:40:21 MST 2013

On 18/12/13 04:13, Stephan wrote:
> I just want to let you know that there is a basic demo of my FxOS app.
> It is not available in the Marketplace yet, but you can try it in a
> recent Firefox Browser here: http://zefanjas.de/biblezng/ Once it loaded
> all the files it works fully offline in your browser.

First of all: THANK YOU! Yes, using plain desktop Firefox 29(Nightly) I
have it working!!! Very excited. So, I am able to wish you a Merry
Christmas in style
http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/merry-christmas-from-biblezng.png (and
my sermon on this from the last Sunday at
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/2013/12/from-the-heavens-glory-he-came-to-us/).
That means that 90% of the hard work (i.e., reading compressed Sword
modules) is done. Congratulations!

Now, the bad news :(

When I opened your page in FxOS-simulator
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-os-simulator/
... contains FxOS 1.1), I got exactly nothing ... when clicking that [+]
button I get absolutely no response whatsoever ...
http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/fxos-simulator.webm

When I open your page in my real Firefox OS phone (Geeksphone Peak with
FxOS 1.1hd ... not sure what's the difference from the pure Mozilla
Foundation 1.1 image, but I know they have backported plenty of patches
to it to make it more stable) or in Firefox App-Manager
(https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/10/introducing-the-firefox-os-app-manager/
with https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/fxos-simulator/
Firefox OS 1.2 Simulator), so when I open the page in either of these, I
do a little bit better. I can open the Module Manager and I get [object
progressbar] visible. See
http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/app-manager-screencast.webm

And the last piece of bad news. In the desktop Firefox your app works
with ESV, but I couldn't make it to work with either CzeBKR or CzeCSP
(two Czech Bibles I tried).

It is hard to debug these problems if I don't have a manifest. If you
put your app manifest
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Developing/Manifest) somewhere
on the web, I could load the app into App-Simulator and start to find
out what's going on with the debugger.

Thank you very very much for your hard work!

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Faithful love is what people look for in a person; ...
   -- Proverbs 19:22 (NJB)