[sword-devel] Downloads exceeding 45 seconds are timed out?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Aug 29 06:31:43 MST 2013

I'm not a libcurl expert, nor a SWORD Install Mgr expert. Wearing my hat as a JSword expert:
We do the download to an alternate location and when the last file is successfully downloaded, we rename that location to the final one. That alternate location is merely the folder in the right place with a suffix. Removing the suffix makes the module visible.

We did this precisely because the download can fail part way through. It should be all or none. It is not until the last part of the module has been downloaded that a working module has been downloaded. People were complaining of broken modules prior to this change.

We also instituted a timeout for flaky connections, with each part having its own timeout, and trap that as a failed module download.

The user can also cancel a download that has appeared to have hung or is too slow.

Hope this helps.

In Him,
	DM