[sword-devel] KJV 1611

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 14:44:59 MST 2013

The KJV1611 needs to be experienced as it was originally laid out to be fully understood how different it is from the "King George" version of the "King James Bible" It included Paragraphs ( marked with capitulums ¢), Sections (listed at the start of each Chapter), and Topical page headers, as well as translation footnotes(+), crossreferences(*), and alt readings(||). Not to mention the maps, and introductory materials like daily readings, perpetual calendar, etc.   The 1769 version of this text is stripped of much that was present in the original edition.

Since the KJV1611 was typeset in not-very-repeatable black letter font, no good digitization of this text exists to my knowledge.  I've studied the roman text versions out there, and they are all much closer to the 1769 than the 1611 edition, including some that claim to be 'facsimile' editions except for the font.  ALL of the digital versions take liberty with spelling, changing the f's into S's and V's into U's, and many even keep much of the vocabulary adjustment you see in the "King George" 1769 ("cattle" instead of cattell, etc.)

A true facsimile of the 1611 King James Authorized Version can be seen here:

http://archive.org/stream/1611Bible_201303/Binder1#page/n81/mode/2up