[sword-devel] Sword support of indents and line breaks

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 12 04:04:27 MST 2013

I'd forgotten about \m

*\m(_text...)*

· Flush left (margin) paragraph.
· No first line indent.
· Followed immediately by a space and paragraph text, or by a new line and a
verse marker.
· Usually used to resume prose at the margin (without indent) after poetry
or OT quotation (i.e. continuation of the previous paragraph).

I suspect that many translators using Paratext are also less aware of this
than they might be.

Arfon Jones' complete Welsh beibl is an exception to this observation.
Here are the tag stats:

02321	\b	Blank line in poetry (e.g. between stanzas)
00526	\m	Flush left (margin) paragraph
08181	\p	Paragraph
00003	\pc	Centered paragraph
00097	\pi	Indented paragraph
00025	\pi1	Indented paragraph (level 1)

I agree with Peter that paragraph indenting is less common in British
English documents than American English documents. Yet the trends for the
format of Bibles tends to be lagging behind that of contemporary culture, so
it's probably impossible to determine a rigid rule.

David