[sword-devel] Locale differences

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Sep 13 05:41:58 MST 2012

On Sep 13, 2012, at 2:53 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On 09/12/2012 02:49 PM, DM Smith wrote:
>> When they differed, I took a look at the input to understand the
>> differences. IIRC, in every difference the input was ambiguous (e.g.
>> v10 for this chapter's 10-th verse or Jud found in the book of
>> Judith).
>
> Are these actual examples or just hypotheticals?
These are not actual, but as close as I can remember. So hypothetical.

Regarding v10

> If Jud is really returning Judith, we have a bug. To my thinking Jud should most probably point to Judges, less probably Jude. (There will be more references to Judges than Jude.) It should only resolve to Judith in a context of apocrypha-only, which isn't something we support anywhere--so never.

The made up example of Jud, was that the module had a book Judith, with a reference to Jud. End users would think that in the book the reference would refer to that book not another. The SWORD engine never picks Judith. I don't remember what it picks. JSword will pick Jude.

I shouldn't have used Judith. (Woke people up, huh?)

So lets use a different hypothetical, a module has "Ma 1:1" as a cross reference in the book of Malachi. To what should it resolve?

The point of the example is that a book reference in a module that is ambiguous is just plain bad.

-- DM