[sword-devel] USFM -> OSIS -> Sword

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Mar 8 18:53:36 MST 2012

Kahunapule Michael Johnson <kahunapule at mpj.cx> writes:
> Chronic or excessive bugs, or bugs that are serious but don't get
> fixed are a major problem.
> Designed-in bugs that don't get fixed are show-stopper problems.

I would be interested in -- entertained by -- even one example of any
Sword program or library whose maintainers' efforts suffer from "chronic
or excessive bugs" or (especially) "designed-in bugs."

Seriously, I can't conceive of you having a single example of either.

> They also have valid concerns with respect to protecting the integrity
> of God's Word.

...as opposed to us mere lackeys and hacks, who have spent, oh I dunno,
let's conservatively say thousands of hours over many years, hacking on
software that doesn't even pay our bills -- goodness, we haven't got
_any_ concerns about how properly and accurately we render scripture.

> I'm not really asking if The Sword Project is 100% bug free, but I'm
> testing the waters to see if there is really an awareness here of the
> seriousness of the importance of preserving all of the jots and tittles of
> Bible texts throughout the project

Previous sarcasm aside (though it's tempting to offer a very similar
shot about who among us has what "awareness"), I want to echo, and
expand slightly upon, a response from Peter:

Howzabout you grant us a smidgen of respect for the positively alarming
amount of effort that gets put into our collective software efforts and
our collective module creation skills.  Waddayasay you don't use as your
starting assumption that we really are just a bunch of lackeys and hacks
who (contextually extracted) just don't care whether we get it right.

We're actually rather good at what we do for precisely and exactly the
same reason you are.  And we are, after all, on the same side.