[sword-devel] USFM -> OSIS -> Sword

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Mar 8 01:47:49 MST 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 22:13 -1000, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:

> I'm not really asking if The Sword Project is 100% bug free, but I'm testing the waters to see if there is really an awareness here of the seriousness of the importance of preserving all of the jots and tittles of Bible texts throughout the project, including in module creation, file and interchange formats, APIs, and front ends.

> Just how serious is it if the versification isn't KJV-only? Will 3 John 1:15 or Romans 14:24-26 be discarded or fail to display?

Yes they will be displayed. No they will not be discarded.

If the differences are so small to KJV then you can go two ways:

1) create a module in NRSV format and some frontends will crash if
someone is daft enough to install it (JSWORD ones only). But they will
not see it in the first place as the av11n repos are normally not
visible to JSWORD. People need to go to extraordinary lengths to make
this happen.

All other frontends will display the text just fine, but might noyt be
able to address the verses.

2) Create a module in KJV format - the extra verses will be appended to the verse just prior and will display along with it.
You can, if you so wish include verse numbers in the text.

Peter