[sword-devel] WikiMedia Extension:SyntaxHighlight GeSHi

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Mar 5 11:07:20 MST 2012

On 05/03/12 17:33, Greg Hellings wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson
> <kahunapule at mpj.cx> wrote:
>> On 03/05/2012 03:20 AM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>>> You seem quite taken with USFM, but remember that CrossWire and SWORD
>>> do not support USFM as an import or display format. Therefore
>>> information beyond just how to convert USFM into OSIS or ThML or GBF
>>> which are supported is not really of importance.
>>
>> USFM is the format that literally hundreds of minority-language Bible translations exists in. Are you saying that the Sword Project is not interested in importing those?

I am not entirely clear what you are aiming at and I must say I do get
somewhat irritated with your tone. I do have a feeling over the last few
days that you are itching to get a fight. Why is that? Is this simply a
misunderstanding?

Wrt the facts:

1) We have three import formats of which one is predominantly used for
Bibles - OSIS, as you know.

2) We regularly import OSIS Bibles which are derived from USFM texts.

3) We have reasonable tools to assist with this - and the tools are
constantly supported and expanded.

4) We will not ever likely produce modules made up from USFM encoded
text. That would be insane. USMF is an interpreter format and it is good
at that. It is no format for Bible study software

All of this is well known to you.

We have therefore no need to _display_ USFM on our wiki in whatever form
it would be printed - or rather in whatever form this particular
mediawiki expansion might choose to display it. If someone wants to
check out how a specific USFM tag should be displayed the best place is
to check the USFM handbook published by UBS>

We do have a need occasionally to post USFM code raw. Particularly if we
want to explain to each other how to transform particular USFM complexes
into OSIS. But I have seen no difficulty with that so far.

Peter