[sword-devel] HTML5 File API and SWORD modules

Stephan info at tetzels.de
Tue Jul 31 18:52:27 MST 2012


> Have you considered phonegap? We've built a sample app here with
> phonegap+jquery_mobile and it worked ok. Our android bindings could
> likely be accessed through a phonegap wrapper which could be made to
> access our engine in iOS from the same wrapper.

Yes, I've considered phonegap. Is there some source code available of 
your phonegap sample app?

Phonegap native plugins may be a workaround for an mobile HTML5 
frontend, even if I prefer a pure javascript solution (I think there 
will be one, it's just a matter of time).


> "Matěj Cepl" <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
>     On 01/08/12 00:00, Greg Hellings wrote:
>     > It's certainly possible. But assuming you want to be Supported
>     > Everywhere, you're going to have to work with the binary data in
>     > special ways. My only point was that JavaScript is not always
>     > straightforward with its ways to work with binary data since it was an
>     > afterthought - especially in a browser environment.
>     Concerning supported everywhere: yes, that's the problem. I don't have
>     the good answer but generally I would think that we should shoot not
>     where the deer is but where it will be when we finish (a year project?),
>     when I hope the situation will be better. I hope. For example, I believe
>     that sooner or later (I would expect sooner) Chrome will be a default
>     browser on Android.
>     > The URL of the image is "elephants.png", which is hardly conclusive
>     >
>     evidence. :) Possibly because the page throws an error in Chrome when
>     > it attempts to load the image into the IndexDB.
>     Interesting ... how old Chrome you have? It's
>     blob:60473a62-738d-457b-bfaa-31128a2e1449 here on Firefox/Aurora.
>     Apparently it is a known bug in Chrome
>     http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=108012
>     > And my point still stands that it is storing a JSON-like object. Not
>     > pure JSON, but what you have is an object store and not a relational
>     > store.
>     Sure I know that ... but I miss your point. Is there anything wrong with
>     non-relational object stores, especially when we are talking about
>     storing essentially non-tabular and non-relational documents?
>     > Good to know. So there is no limit on putting a blob into the IndexDB?
>     > That could lead to some very powerful offline apps. But
>     I can't
>     > imagine browser writers wouldn't limit the size of data stored
>     > somehow. They wouldn't just allow you to keep creating data upon data
>     > in stores until you fill a hard drive... at least I would hope not.
>     Frankly, I don't know. When you are putting it like this, there must be
>     some control over the access, but I am not aware of the details.
>     > That's good, but for the other 99.5% of us who use Mobile Safari or
>     > the built-in Android browser when we're on a mobile device, how do we
>     > stack up? I ask in earnestness because I haven't tackled mobile web
>     > development beyond a single failed foray in 2007.
>     I don't have (and frankly, I don't care) about a good answer for iOS,
>     but concerning Android, I still believe that Google will eventually
>     switch Chrome to be a default browser (or makes the default Browser to
>     be essentially Chrome), and as I said I would be shooting where
>     the
>     elephant (or deer, or whoever) will be rather than where it is now. And
>     yes, of course, it is hard to shoot an elephant, because it can move
>     elsewhere. I have no clue about the level of support for HTML5 APIs on
>     the mobile Internet Explorer.
>     Blessings,
>     Matěj
>     --
>     http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl<at>ceplovi.cz  <http://ceplovi.cz>
>     GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC
>     I would like to die sleeping, like my father -- rather than
>     screaming and helpless, like his passengers.
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
>     http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
>     Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

More information about the sword-devel mailing list