[sword-devel] Development, SWIG Bindings, etc...

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:21:09 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM, brian <brianlovesjesus at perffection.com>
> wrote:
> >    To get SWIG to work on the SVN branch (This is to get it to compile,
> and
> > it allows it to work but I still haven't gone over all the warnings which
> > seem mostly due to operator overloading) , the problem lies in that
> > SWBuf::append(wchar_t) which is new is not yet fully supported by SWIG.
> We
> > can remove its usage by editing swbuf.i and adding at line 29:
> >
> >     %ignore sword::SWBuf::append(wchar_t);
>
> I added this and confirmed it allows the library to compile. The fix
> is now in SVN. Thanks for locating it.
>
> I'm not sure how useful adding support for wchar_t directly to the
> bindings is, since Python already has a dead-simple method for
> combining strings and converting encodings. It might not even be
> desired by the people who use the bindings. Until I hear from those
> people on this matter, I would be wary of including that extra
> functionality.

Yep, that patch looks fine and I don't think we could even pass in a
wchar_t easily from python. SWBuf isn't really that necessary to work with
that much anyway, and when you do, UTF-8 is usually used (or cp1252,
depending on the module).

God Bless,
Ben
 For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone,
declares the Lord God; so turn, and live.”
Ezekiel 18:32 (ESV)