[sword-devel] Av11n and coverage

Benjamin Misja alvanx at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:05:41 MST 2012

Hi,

I'm not a coder, just an interested theological student. I am excited about
this debate. Logos does this and it would add a lot to SWORD-based programs if
versifications were mapped like that. So, this is great from an academical
point of view

I clearly cannot answer from a coder's perspective, but I can tell you about
versification. It is not going to be simple. The good news is that you will be
able to set a standard versification that you could define all the others
against. I would suggest using the BHS versification for the OT and the
UBS4/NA27 versification for the NT (SBLGNT would work too, but it's a few
verses shorter that will likely be in many translations).

To give you an idea about the diversitiy of versification systems. Different
book orders have already been mentioned in this discussion. But there is also
different traditions in handling e.g. longer Psalm titles (as verses in their
own right, or as just preceding verses?). The English versification is very old
and traditional, but unfortunately mostly deviates from the original texts in
this.

But the question, most of all, is one of textual basis. And every translation
handles that differently. For example, some translations don't include Mark
16:9-16 or the pericope adulterae in John. Some translations believed that
some paragraphs in the OT were in the wrong order. That results in the NRSV
and others clipping a few verses out of a chapter of Zechariah and adding them
to a different one. And that's only one case that I know of. A mess! And then
you have the Septuagint, with an alternative Psalm counting system and several
additions to some books like Daniel and Esther, and it counts Ezra and
Nehemiah as one (called 2 Esdras).

A mapping system would have to be able to account for all of those to do its
job at all. I think it would have to be done individually for almost every
translation. The current v11n systems would definitely have to be extended, at
the least.

It seems that somebody at openscriptures.org has already started to work on
something like this, and has collected v11n systems:
http://openscriptures.org/blog/2011/01/bible-organisational-system/

Ben