[sword-devel] Av11n and coverage

Paul A. Martel pmartel60 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:59:36 MST 2012

Versification mapping sounds very useful. Is there any
agreement/design/plan for what it would actually entail?
>From my uninformed perspective, it seems like there could be lots of
ambiguity or disagreement about the "use cases" and priorities
especially if there needed to be a staged implementation.

Has the question "What kinds of differences can two v11ns or canons have
and still be usefully mapped?" been discussed and resolved to any depth?

There may even deeper questions like:

- Can or should all v11ns be defined normally in such detail that all
possible mappings to other v11ns becomes a purely mechanical inference
process?

- If not, can or should the versification mapping process consist of an
abnormally detailed independent analysis of each v11n, after which the
mappings to other v11ns similarly analyzed becomes a purely mechanical
inference process?

- If not, would each mapping between any 2 particular v11ns have to be hand
authored and "coded" in some way (possibly something more like a conf file
than a C++ header file, but "different arts for different parts...").

Or is there some compromise in which the mechanical inference does most of
the work, based on details specific to each canon and v11n, with hints or
customizations for any particular v11n pairing optionally coded by some
author?

Maybe another way of asking these questions is:

Is there or could there be a v11n equivalent of the "Periodic Chart of the
Elements" in which each element identifies an indivisible "atom" of
scripture content so that each v11n could define (or be defined AS) a
mapping to its component atoms? If so, it should be a simple matter to
transitively map one v11n's arrangement of those atoms to another v11n's
arrangement of those same atoms (each analyzed in isolation) to
automatically infer the mapping between any 2 v11n's and to identify where
there are no mappings due to canonical differences.

Or is this approach impractical, and so we are better off with a less
formal approach, like one that assumes that the number N of v11ns is small
and will stay small and that the mappings between any 2 v11ns will mostly
be simple and will follow common patterns, so someone (possibly even just
the same C++ priesthood, bless 'em, that maintains those canon header
files) could humanly keep up with N x (N-1) hand-coded mappings.

I just find it an interesting problem.  Maybe it's something a new
volunteer with some programming skills could kick around, regardless of
chickens or eggs.

--paul