[sword-devel] locales.d submission Inuk: iu.conf & iu-utf8.conf

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 15 05:19:41 MST 2012

On 08/15/2012 04:23 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> See also http://www.languagegeek.com/inu/inu_syllabarium.html
>
> "1. Long vowels are marked by a dot accent, so /laa/ is ᓛ. Long consonants
> are shown by the appropriate final preceding the syllabic, so /ttu/ is ᑦᑐ.
> The various dialects of the language handle the consonant clusters
> differently, and some writers may omit the first element of the cluster
> altogether in their writing. "
>
> This seems to conform my concerns. Inuktitut uses the dot accent, not the
> small circle.

See the end of 2. The ring above is used for <Caai>. Similarly, a
downward oriented glyph is used for <Cai>.

Neither of these are part of the Inuktitut Cultural Institute's
orthographies. They would simply use <Caa> and <Ca> with a following <i>.

The original Unicode proposal for the script has a few details:
http://www.evertype.com/standards/sl/n1441-en.html

Updating the Bible itself to the standard orthography wouldn't be
unwarranted. Including the standard orthographic forms in the locale
file is really a necessity, whether the non-standard forms are included
or not.

--Chris