[sword-devel] SWORD 1.7 (proxy, zip cache)

Sebastien Koechlin seb.sword at koocotte.org
Fri Apr 27 03:42:35 MST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:56:43AM -0500, Greg Hellings wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> > Adding the ability to use a module cache of zip files does not add any new
> > functionality for the user of the api or the end user of a frontend. It
> > detrimentally adds possibility for out of sync data between actual module
> > data and the .zip bundle, and is additional work for the remote repository
> > maintainer. Our current implementation, which allows simply any installed
> > module to be accessible as-is via installmgr, all network infrastructure
> > being sound, is more beneficial to end users and module maintainers than
> > this requested additional download option.
>
> It seems implementing this in two parts would be best. 1) A feature in
> the API where a user of the API can hand a file handle in and the API
> will read the ZIP file and install it. 2) Detection and downloading of
> a ZIP file from remote sources if available. I've heard some
> discussion on the list of people desiring the ability to install from
> a ZIP file a la the ones on the website. So long as this is being
> implemented then why shouldn't it be implemented in such a way as to
> provide both pieces of functionality together?

Sword repositories are working. I think ZIP handling is there to be able to
use alternate, lite and easy to setup repositories.

As a third party module maintainer, I would like to be able:

- To easily distribute a module by just uploading one (a ZIP) or two files
(ZIP+conf) on a website without creating specials directories or repository
specific files.  A mod2zip executable would also be welcome.  (Should we
rename .conf files to .sword to use OS file association?)

- User should be able to install my module by giving the ZIP or conf file
URL, or by using a local ZIP file.

- Ideally, update should also be handled by adding an ZIP URL in the .conf.
The installmgr can download the .conf file, and if the version is newer, can
also download the new ZIP file and install it.

--
Sébastien Koechlin