[sword-devel] SWORD 1.7 (proxy, zip cache)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:56:43 MST 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Any takers to implement these 2 items.
>
> To summarize an old and long discussion on this request, and what we agreed
> on...
>
> It is important to note exactly what this request entails and they are two
> very different requests.
>
> Adding proxy support to installmgr might be easy if all our transport class
> implementations support such.

Fairly sure the cURL layer supports it. I doubt ftplib does, though.
Would the requirement be to implement support for both the cURL and
ftplib cases? If just cURL is sufficient I would be willing to
research the implementation of it.

> Adding the ability to use a module cache of zip files does not add any new
> functionality for the user of the api or the end user of a frontend. It
> detrimentally adds possibility for out of sync data between actual module
> data and the .zip bundle, and is additional work for the remote repository
> maintainer. Our current implementation, which allows simply any installed
> module to be accessible as-is via installmgr, all network infrastructure
> being sound, is more beneficial to end users and module maintainers than
> this requested additional download option.

It seems implementing this in two parts would be best. 1) A feature in
the API where a user of the API can hand a file handle in and the API
will read the ZIP file and install it. 2) Detection and downloading of
a ZIP file from remote sources if available. I've heard some
discussion on the list of people desiring the ability to install from
a ZIP file a la the ones on the website. So long as this is being
implemented then why shouldn't it be implemented in such a way as to
provide both pieces of functionality together?

--Greg