[sword-devel] Websites

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Apr 11 16:51:10 MST 2012

On 4/10/2012 6:01 AM, Mike Hart wrote:
>  > CrossWire has never been involved in any palm apps.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040202044710/http://www.crosswire.org/crosswire/index.jsp
>
> I used a handspring visor. I've seen related posts about this, and I'm
> always a little confused why people would seek to change history. Did
> you mean Palm has never been supported by 'the sword project'? Again,
> we're talking about big and little umbrellas.

In my statement, I was precise and accurate. CrossWire has no
association with PalmBible+ or UniBible other than linking to their
websites. (To be complete, PalmBible+ may and UniBible does use some of
our content after exporting it, but that wasn't done with our
foreknowledge.) We link to them because they provide GPL Bible software
for a platform that we don't otherwise support and have no intention of
supporting via Sword or any other CrossWire project.

I'm not seeking to change history, as you suggest, just remembering it
correctly. I really don't understand why you have linked to an Internet
Archive page, either. We link to both PalmBible+ and UniBible on our
live webpage: http://crosswire.org/applications.jsp?section=Handhelds

Realize that all of the above means that we have no control over modules
used by PalmBible+ or UniBible, and we provide no content compatible
with either of these programs.

> And this is exactly what my appeal is about. Crosswire is BIGGER than
> sword. a module repository should look like a bookstore, with each
> available app listed under each version of text. You want Croatian?
> Great, we got you covered on J2ME, iphone, windows 8, linux, Kindle,
> Ford's Fuse(whatever they call their car OS thing,) etc. Readers,
> Missionaries, don't want to chose a platform first then hope their
> chosen text is present. They know what text they want and besides the #1
> problem 'We don't have NIV', we should help them find what they're
> looking for.

I can only assume that you don't quite understand how publishing rights
work. We're extremely lucky to be working in a particular sector of
publishing where profits aren't the only objective of every rights
holder. Some rights holders, indeed a great many of the rights holders
we work with, are very liberal with the rights they grant us or even
have no particular interest other than seeing their works maximally
distributed. And we're lucky enough to work with a lot of worthwhile
public domain material, as well.

In most cases, we should be very thankful to be able to distribute texts
to all Sword front ends or even those plus Go Bible. Commercial
publishers ordinarily would like more control over which platforms see
their works, so it's not uncommon to see different rights and different
prices applied to works distributed for different platforms. Within
minor, mostly temporary exceptions, most of our upstream providers allow
us to distribute their works to a wide array of platforms, usually free.

However, there will always be exceptions. There are legacy exceptions,
since there was once a time when Go Bible was not under the fold of
CrossWire, so we weren't pursuing rights to distribute in Go Bible's
format. I imagine any rights holder who wished to sell a work would not
be willing to distribute for Go Bible, since I don't believe it supports
text unlocking. And there might be other reasons why a publisher would
specifically wish to disallow distribution to a particular platform or
front end. I think your assessment of the user's objective when viewing
module offerings is completely wrong, given that it will never be the
case that we can actually offer every work on every platform. Users are
concerned with what is available to them for the software they are
using, not what is available to other people on platforms they aren't using.

> ____________________
>
>  > TEI to LaTeX/PDF and EPUB (and accordingly MOBI, via Calibre) is
> trivial to do. Last semester I produced most of my course's readings in
> PDF, EPUB, & MOBI, from TEI P5 master documents so that students could
> use the reader of their choice. OSIS is /mostly/ just TEI, so you could
> either adjust the standard TEI XSLTs to take OSIS instead or convert the
> OSIS to TEI and use the stock TEI XSLTs themselves.
>
> ____________________
>
> I completely agree that for anyone on this list, getting any text onto
> an e-reader is trivial. However, 99.9% of the world does not have that
> knowledge, and getting homework, or Bible texts, onto a Kobo e-ink slate
> is beyond their competence. Which is why, again, Crosswire should be so
> much more than sword. Things that are too easy to worry about here are
> unknown or impossible for someone who knows 5 people using a kindle
> e-ink device that speak Chinese, leaving for the homeland in 2 weeks,
> and the discussion about Christ got to a point they would consider
> transporting a ZH text back with them.

I didn't write that on The SWORD Project news page. We don't publish
OSIS docs, the KJV notwithstanding, so those are obviously not
instructions for end users. If targeting ebook readers is important to
you, the write the necessary XSLTs.

--Chris