[sword-devel] Websites (was: Video tutorials)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 3 11:53:45 MST 2012

To second what Greg said and to defend the last person who attempted to
meet all audiences with our website (not me), if you hit:

http://crosswire.org

Click Software
Click Windows

You get a list software for Windows.

We can't necessarily have a "Download Now" button as most projects have
chosen not to host their development work on CrossWire's server and I
won't believe they would (nor blame them for not doing so) keep updated
Windows and Mac packages in some central CrossWire download facility.
We've had hard enough time getting news reports from everyone.  Other
OSs don't use a 'download now' from a website concept, but get their
software from a package manager (Android, iOS, Redhat, Ubuntu, etc.)

I'm not amiss to giving other Windows frontends more prominence, but
it's hard to decide how: BPBible, Bible Desktop, Bibletime, Xiphos,
XulSWORD (listed ASCIIbetically) all run fine on Windows and complaining
that everyone only downloads BibleCS because it is listed first would
translate to a valid complaint for any 2-n listed project.

I too am generally frustrated with both our wiki and our main website.
The wiki has so much misinformation and bad examples and is anything but
concise, and the main website is generally unattractive and doesn't have
the latest bits of useful information which are on the wiki.

I'm not blaming anyone, as Greg has said, no one wants this.  I very
seldom take the time to read the wiki with the intent to fix things.  I
end up finding them when I intend to refer someone to the wiki and read
the information I'm about to link to.  Some who edit the wiki don't have
the history or expertise.  Many who have the history or expertise don't
have time to edit the wiki.  It's a vicious circle.  Everyone has good
intentions.

I'm open for suggestions, but every couple years we go through this
iteration of a wave of frustration about our websites and someone steps
up and revamps some things, and no one is happy and we move on for
another couple years.

Troy