[sword-devel] Detecting Problem Characters

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Sep 23 10:50:20 MST 2011


It sounds like you have eol types intermixed within your file.  This 
script removes all \r's from your file to normalize linefeeds to 
newlines.  It might help. Make a backup of your file first! :)


On 09/23/2011 07:20 PM, Michael Hart wrote:
> I've got a couple modules-in-making both of which I'm working on quote 
> marks that aren't displaying at all or are displaying block "mystery" 
> characters.  I'm spending time trying to separate apostrophes from 
> single quotes on both modules with the hope I can preserve or achieve 
> the ability to use OSIS <Q> tags....
> In both modules, at some point I've lost control of a few characters 
> and now ms excel or openoffice calc, or jEdit now can't see all the 
> end of line characters. That is, when I try to open the file VPL, it 
> almost but not quite works.  Some verses are grouped together in 
> either spreadsheet while jedit sees them as properly separated.
> Recently or not so recently I saw a comment in some post describing a 
> way  or a program with summarizes all 'non-ascii' or 'out of this 
> encoding' characters that appear in a file.  I've spent time searching 
> for this post but cannot locate it or any information about this step 
> on the module creation wiki.
> Can someone enlighten me (again) as to the best method to find 
> offending characters and deal with them?
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike
> ___________________________________________________________________
> PS.  Modules in progress are based on these documents:
> 1. Holy New Covenant (public domain on publication in 2004.)
> http://www.thomhackett.com/the-holy-new-covenant.htm
> The "palm doc" file actually opens as a ms word 97 or 2003 file.)  It 
> is my intention to get this into sword to evaluate it as to it's 
> readability and usability.  From my cursory review is is a fairly 
> faithful treatment of scripture. Galilee Translation Team mentioned 
> appears to be affiliated with The Church of Christ in some way.
> 2. The Riverside New Testament (published 1923 and copyright renewed 
> (1948?) according to Google, but even if still copyrighted should be 
> distributable within the next decade... If I have my facts straight).
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zefania-sharp/files/Zefania%20XML%20Modules%20%28old%29/Bibles%20ENG/The%20Riverside%20New%20Testament%20%281923%29/sf_Riverside_NT2.zip/download 
> Came to me as a 'zefania' xml file.  Note that this file is now (after 
> I started working on this last year) already available in OSIS format at:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zefania-sharp/files/Osis%20XML%20Modules%20%28raw%29/ 
> so this is really more of an exercise in 'what am I doing wrong' for me.
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

More information about the sword-devel mailing list