[sword-devel] How to represent special characters in osisID attributes in a gen book

Brian J Dumont brian.j.dumont at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:36:33 MST 2011

Per Chris Little (circa 2009 when I asked the same question:

    The relevant bit of the regex is: (\p{L}|\p{N}|_|(\\[^\s]))+

    The last option permits escaping any non-space character with a
    leading \. Further to that, NBSP (0xA0), by convention, represents
    space (0x20) in osisID/osisRef. But it will need to be escaped since
    it's not a letter, number, or underscore.

In my experience since then, the non-breaking space is far more
confusing than it's worth.  I would suggest:

A bit crude, but it has a number of advantages:
- It is valid
- I think it works on all SWORD front-ends that support genbooks
- It doesn't get messed up by code that is passing a link (imagine that
someone later wants to create a hyperlink from a different module to
this spot in your module)

Brian