[sword-devel] Has the Russian Synodal Translation been removed?

Benjamin Misja alvanx at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 00:40:45 MST 2011

Hi Pypsik,

if these two processes are copyrightable should depend on the country.
There were no statements made as to where that company sits. In the
European Union, only /creative acts/ are copyrightable. You don't have a
copyright just because you put a lot of work into, say, digitalizing a
text (this is why the German Bible Society doesn't have a copyright on
the e-text of the German Menge bible, but that's a different story).

>From what I have gathered about international copyright, it doesn't
matter much what the copyright situation is like in the country of
origin, it matters what the law says in your country. This is why so
many Linux distributions can't offer DVD support - because in some
countries, there are patents or laws against working around a copy
protection. So they offer additional semi-official package sources.

I am not sure how copyright is applied internationally. The EU laws
should be a pretty good standard to measure by, but then there could be
countries where things are handled entirely differently. I would think
Crosswire will probably not face any difficulties if they provided the
module with a disclaimer that the module might be illegal in your
country to use.

It might be a good idea to to check where a copyright can be applied at
least in the major Russian speaking countries first though. If Russia is
like Germany, you should be able to find the relevant laws online, or at
least an article on Wikipedia.

Hope that helps!

Ben