[sword-devel] BREW Development?

Tue Jun 21 08:39:15 MST 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:00:45 PM Greg Hellings wrote:
> As I understood it the FSF had (at least in the past) declared that
> there was an incompatibility.  But IIRC, the incompatibility was
> actually that Apple is always violating the GPL with its distribution.
> Since the GPL states that the person doing the distribution is
> required to make the code and any modifications to the program
> publicly available to the people to whom they distribute the app.
> Thus, to be in compliance Apple would need to have a place where
> people could download the source code plus their technology for
> digitally signing the compiled apps, etc, in order to be in touch with
> the GPL.  (That's how I understood it. That could be totally bogus.)

INAL (nor do I play one on tv, and I haven't even slept at a holiday in
express) but  there is a Linux distribution called Mepis that is a derivative
of Debian that got in hot water with the FSF for not distributing the source
code themselves but rather upstream debian distribution. The FSF said that was
not a valid way to distribute the source in compliance with the GPL, and thus
Mepis had to distribute source packages drectly even if they did not modify
the code. I would imagine app stores fall under the same issue.