[sword-devel] BREW Development?

Sat Jun 18 18:09:04 MST 2011

On Friday, June 17, 2011 01:12:30 PM Nic Carter wrote:
> Curious.
>
> A brief reading of the GPL licence that we use shows that it says nothing
> about the source being able to be compiled to work on a platform.  The fact
> that the src is available freely seems to satisfy it, so the fact that you
> then need to pay apple for the privilege to run it on your (unjailbroken)
> iPhone isn't an issue.  Altho, reading the licence again (it's been years!)
> reveals to me that I should more explicitly state in the app where you can
> grab the src from & that it's GPL'd...  I may be a little slack in not
> stating that clearly enough in the About section of the app.  Will fix that
> for the next release. :)

The compiling and running on device X only applies to GPLv3 (and I assume
later) it's a loop-hole in GPLv2, there's even a term for not allowing modified
software on a device, tivioization (from the fact that tivo was, if not the
first, the most famous for it).

And as far as notice, there were in GPLv2 specifically mentioned ways to go
about notifying users of the GPL status for both CLI and GUI applications.

Now for app stores in general I have seen statements (I think it was an
identi.ca post) from the FSF stating that app stores are considered defictive
by design and are specifically not GPL compatible. There was even action taken
WRT GnuGo which resulted from the application being taken down from the app
store. I can look-up specifics later this next week if it would be helpful.