[sword-devel] Looking for vpl reference

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 16:20:32 MST 2011

to use it, you unzip the file to a directory.

some versions of windows can handle zip files natively.  if you see it as a folder and can browse the files, then just drag the files to another directory.  You need to have all the files in the same directory.

If you can't see the files in the zipped folder, you need to get a program that can deal with zip files.  I recommend 7zip.  ( http://www.7-zip.org/download.html )

How to use it in WINE... that really depends on what flavor of linux you are using, and I'm currently on an outdated version of PCLinuxOS, so my advice there is not going to be good for you.

How to use it once you have all the files in a folder and a windows command prompt:

> start ... run ... cmd (enter) or ALT-F2 cmd (enter)

This should open a windows command shell

$ cd (C:your\bible\work\folder\) (enter)
$ vpl2mod (enter)

This should give you a list of options for encoding your file

for me the command I use is

$ vpl2mod.exe BLE-vpl-ready.txt .  1 0
where ble-vpl-ready.txt is the file (that i've copied to the same folder as the exe file) i'm converting.
the next dot tells the program to drop the converted files into the same directory.
the 1 says that each row begins with a verse reference
the 0 says i'm converting the whole bible (old testament AND new testament)

The modules appear as OT and NT and usually there are 2 other files.   You will also need a module.conf file, but your other emails say you understand that part of the process ok.

HOWEVER:  your latest post says you are creating an IMP type file, not a VPL type file.  to create a sword module from IMP type files do a similar process

$ IMP2MOD.exe (enter) --> gives you the options you need to include ....

IMPort files have more options because the IMP format can be used for any type of sword module, where the VPL (verse per line) assume you are importing text or verse for verse commentaries.  I've created modules from import files, but not ones that work with BibleTime.

When you get into IMPort files, the Sword team has made statements about not supporting this type of format for module creation any longer, and some of the front end programs may no longer be able to read the output file.  This is because the Import format includes much more support for formatting (centers on the screen, etc.) the VPL type files are also no longer officially supported, but if you stick with plain text VPL files, there is very little chance your module will do something that the bible reader programs no longer support.

Hope this is helpful.

If you want or need help converting your import file into a VPL file, I can assist.  I use a variety of programs to accomplish the task (mostly microsoft excel or open office calc.) so typing out the process would be tricky.