[sword-devel] Alternate Versification for (Protestant) French Bibles?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Jul 15 12:10:11 MST 2011

On Jul 15, 2011, at 0:21, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Given my careful observations about the *canonical Psalm titles* in French
> Bibles, that they can occupy either
> (a) only part of verse 1, or
> (b) all of verse 1, or
> (b) both verses 1 & 2
>
> The questions arises as to how this should be properly marked up in a USFM
> source text?
> i.e. Using the tags *\d* and *\v* ?
>
> The documentation in the USFM reference for the *\d* tag provides
> insufficient help here by way of example.
>
> Then, once we get clarity for USFM, we need to decide how usfm2osis.pl
> should process it.
>
> David

I want to make sure I understand you correctly, and am not sure I do. Are you saying that all three scenarios, a-c, occur in the same Bible? Or that some French Bibles do a, others b, others c? I assume it's just one versification your talking about, and hence the former.

For USFM, scenarios b & c are pretty simple: just place the \d title text after the \v # marker. I don't think scenario a can be encoded in USFM, but maybe you could throw in a \d* at the end of the title, and assume that your processor isn't particularly picky--a good assumption, given SF.

--Chris