[sword-devel] Module Display Names

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Jan 19 15:38:37 MST 2011

Actually, there's a module with an even longer Description.  "Practice" has:

The Practice of the Presence of God: The Best Rule of Holy Life by Brother Lawrence (Nicholas Herman, 1605-1691)

Gosh, that's annoyingly long.

Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
> One of my modules is [CONNOT] which is a decent abbreviation
> and it fits in the limits of SWORD.  Currently I have the About field
> set to"Consultant Notes" and the About field set to "<p>Consultant
> Notes for Translators.</p>".

About and About?  I think you meant Description and About.

Contents of About aren't supposed to contain HTML, notwithstanding that
it happens to work.  That content is formally RTF.  You'll see a lot of
\par and so forth in *.conf About fields.

> Perhaps you can shed some light on why you use the
> value of the name instead of the Description in your widget?

Because that's the way it's been since The Dawn Of Net.Time, which was
way back when Terry first did it. :-D

Seriously, no one's ever asked about it before.

It could certainly be reasonable to update module selection widgets to
use Description instead of the [BracketedName]; but I wonder about
possible confusion because [BracketedName] is guaranteed to be unique
but Description is not, and considering the selection of Description
used at e.g. bible.org...

   Free version of NET Bible Footnotes with limited notes
   Free version of New English Translation with limited notes
   NET Bible Footnotes presented in the form of a commentary.
   New English Translation text only with footnote markers
   New English Translation with over 60,000 translator, study and text critical notes

...with so much similarity from one to another, I worry that the user
won't get the connection, and especially that he won't grasp the
difference when tabs have [BracketedNames] (for minimal length purposes)
that would then be seen pretty much nowhere else.  Also, at the moment,
I've got DM's (old) beta "NASB" and Troy's (new) beta "NASBnew"...

   New American Standard Bible
   New American Standard Bible (NEW)

...whose minor change is almost unnoticeable and could lose the "(NEW)"
the next time Troy puts out an update.

I'm open to opinion about the problem, of course.