[sword-devel] Bibtex for modules

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:27:54 MST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> This is an excellent idea, but I worry about BibTeX being the wrong format
> to encourage academic use. I love LaTeX, personally. I just spent a day
> putting together a reader for my class in LaTeX. But I'm probably in a
> minority here, and outside of math & sciences, I believe almost no one uses
> LaTeX. It is a fairly old format, so there are lots of importers for other
> software like EndNote.

I hear the limited use of LaTeX is pretty much relegated to graduate
school and students.  That is, of course, anecdotal information.

> I think keeping BibTeX would be great, but I'd like to encourage us to also
> adopt CSL (http://citationstyles.org/), which is used by a few different
> programs, including Zotero.
> I'd also recommend we figure out a way to do everything via scripts and
> auto-generate BibTeX and CSL entries with a nightly cron job. We can fill
> out additional .conf entries, as necessary, to make the automation easier.

Rather than forcing the library to maintain memory of multiple
formats, maybe a very simple template system?  Then the user can
specify the output into an arbitrary format and run it through a
single method call in the library to output any format they desire.
Samples could be maintained with BibTeX, CSL or whatever else people
wish to supply?