[sword-devel] Front-end localization during installation?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 11:54:18 MST 2011

A good topic for consideration is to lessen the reliance on knowing the
English language for those front-ends that already have support for changing
locale.

I've come across several applications (unrelated to Bible software) in which
the installation process gives the user the opportunity to choose the
application language before the installation Finish dialog.

Xiphos would be an obvious candidate for this, but other front-ends could do
likewise when the number of supported locales has reached "critical mass".

Further to this, there could even be some provision made for ensuring the
user has a suitable font for the required language, and if not, then for the
installation dialog to include a step to fetch and install the font before
the Finish.

To make all this even smoother, then each front-end website should be
translated into as many languages as the application supports.

All this would require a lot of effort, yet we could at least make a start
by thinking how we could progress towards such an ideal.

David