[sword-devel] Patch for Sword crash with BibleTime on Windows

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Feb 11 21:49:16 MST 2011

Gary,

Thanks again for tracking this down and reporting the problem.  I just
looked at your comment and it does look like this would be a good fix.

The oddity is that it looks the bug stems from the Personal module.  The
RawFiles::createModule method does the right thing and create the
increment number holder file, incfile, and initialized it to 0.  Anyone
creating a new personal commentary with this method should be fine.

The Personal module as shipped from the CrossWire repository does not
include this file!  Hence the problem of not finding the file.

So, I suppose we could chalk this up to a module error just as well as
code which could better handle problem conditions like a missing module
file.

Awesome find!  I wonder how long the Personal module has shipped this
way!  I wonder why BibleCS hasn't had any trouble, as I'm pretty sure
the only way to use personal commentaries is to download the module.
Maybe Borland's entry into the Win32 read call handles bad file pointers
better?

In anycase, I like your solution the best, in that we check that we
successfully oped a file before we attempt to write to it.  Thank you again,

Troy