[sword-devel] Logos Personal Book Builder

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 11:45:34 MST 2011

I have pursued the avenue of docx -> Bible conversion in the past and,
allow me to state unequivocally, it is incredibly complex.  The sheer
number of ways to mark up the same item and material makes any sort of
attempt at such a conversion almost impossible to conceive.  I never
completed the project (my apologies to David for that), but I did get
so far as to have the base text working in SWORD. However, headings
were in the wrong places, foot notes were acknowledged but not
present, and many other things were very wrong with the results I
produced.  Not to mention that the parsing was highly dependent upon
that one text and the manner in which its editor had elected to markup
his works.  I have since come into possession of better tools which
would make some parts of the process easier, but by no means would it
be simple.

Producing a general book might have better results, but it would still
be a monumental undertaking for anyone who wanted to tackle it.  I am
up to my ears right now in other projects or I might consider it.
Also, I lack any sort of source texts which would make it worthwhile
for myself to undertake the project.

--Greg