[sword-devel] Rendering added words for languages that don't use italics?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 19 08:01:20 MST 2011

Another problematic markup for other languages is
<divineName>...</divineName>
The SWORD engine tries to apply small caps to the content by simulation.
The first letter is converted to uppercase if it isn't already. Then the
remainder of the word is converted to upper case and wrapped in code
that reduces the font size.

The two problems:
It presumes a byte oriented character set. I.e. Windows latin-1
(cp1252). It does not work if it contains UTF-8.
Second, it presumes that upper case applies to the language. (Which
isn't true of Arabic, Farsi, ...)

In Him,
     DM