[sword-devel] Rendering added words for languages that don't use italics?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 19 07:49:32 MST 2011

On 04/19/2011 04:24 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> On 19/04/11 09:02, David Haslam wrote:
>> So what should front-end applications use for presentational rendering in
>> such modules when the Bible translation features added words?
>> i.e. In USFM as marked using \add_...\add*
> And in OSIS the markup is in a similar way semantic, not presentational.
>
> It only becomes presentational in our output filters where it is
> replaced in the osis2htmlhref filter to a<i>  for italics IIRC. Not all
> frontends of course use the engine supplied filters.
I'm wondering whether it'd be possible to add language filters.

Basic idea:
If the front-end requests an OSIS2XXX render and there is a
corresponding OSIS2XXX-lang renderer based on the modules language, it
will be automatically added in front of OSIS2XXX.

It would grab the elements that produced italics in the OSIS2XXX
renderer and transform them appropriately (e.g. <hi>, <transChange>). It
could deal with other elements as well.

 From what I remember of the osis2xxx renderers they pass what they
don't expect.

Alternatively to pre-processing, the language filter could be a
post-process, merely changing <i>...</i> to something else. Granted, the
semantic content of what produced the <i> isn't present, but it's not
present for the reader in any other language either.