[sword-devel] Hyphens in book names

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Sep 29 15:06:43 MST 2010

Seriously? Someone designed an orthography in which \x2D (hyphen-minus)
is used as an alphabetic character? What's its phonemic value?

Hyphen-minus is simply not a letter. You can see its character
properties at http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2d/index.htm.
Scroll down to see that the value of isLetter() is No. Hyphen-minus is
punctuation.

Sword should not be modified to accommodate abuses of the Unicode
Standard. If you can find a hyphen-like letter in the Unicode character
repertoire, I would suggest changing to that (in all cases). Letters
will indicate that they are letters in their character properties. If
there is no such character, you should propose one to Unicode.

--Chris